MPs’ Expenses: Alok’s promises to you
Message from Alok Sharma:
Ever since the details of MPs’ expenses were first published, people have been furious about the excessive, unacceptable and possibly illegal claims made by some of the people we send to represent us in the House of Commons.
My view on the current expenses system is one of complete exasperation. I firmly believe that there needs to be clear transparency and openness when it comes to MPs’ expenses.
As your local Conservative candidate I want to make it clear to you that I will not play the system. I will not bend the rules. I will not break the law. Instead, I will abide by the standards that politicians expect others to live by. I will stick to the promises set out here.
MPs’ Expenses: my promises to you:
As the Parliamentary Candidate for Reading West, I promise that if elected I will:
- publish on my parliamentary website details of all my individual expenses incurred as your Member of Parliament;
- publish on my parliamentary website details of all my office expenses incurred as your Member of Parliament;
- make all my expense claims available for review by local newspapers at the end of every financial year;
- commute from my family home in Reading to London, only staying overnight in London when absolutely necessary;
- never claim for food, furniture, household goods or my personal tax liabilities;
- publish on my parliamentary website details of who I am employing with my parliamentary staffing allowance and what they do;
- never use the staffing allowance to employ any members of my family;
- only ever claim for what is necessary to do the job well. Expenses are there to cover costs incurred in doing your job, not as a top-up to your salary.